Gender Based Violence Training for Practitioners and Counsellors
Tod Augusta Scott provides gender-based violence training to practitioners and counsellors. Gender-based violence is a health issue affecting both men and women but most often in many women and girls.
Gender-based violence effects can take shape in many forms and can take many years to overcome.
The Safety & Repair Approach
In this keynote, Tod Augusta Scott provides a new way of responding to gender-based violence training that focuses on safety and repair. This approach emphasizes repairing harm over punishment; repairing harm without creating further harm and creating closure and healing for everyone involved. Issues of trauma and gender are addressed. This keynote is for practitioners in university, military, corporate, government, and community settings. It also benefits administrators and policymakers from these sectors.
Q&A For the Film, A Better Man
Tod Augusta Scott will discuss the innovative Safety & Repair process used in the documentary A Better Man to address gender-based violence. In the film, Tod interviews a woman and her ex-partner who severely abused her over a two-year period. The process contributes significantly to the repair and healing of both parties. This Q&A is for practitioners in university, military, corporate, government, and community settings. It also benefits administrators and policymakers from these sectors.
“Thank you. It was an opportunity knowing that there is a program for abusive men to help them ‘repair the harm’ they have caused others. A great lecture and role play to understand how to relate with these men rather than coming out to demonize or judge them.”
Recent Keynote Addresses
- Radius Child and Youth Services, Oakville, ON, Keynote Presentation (May 1-2, 2023)
- Quebec Counselling Association, Quebec, Keynote, Safety and Repair (March 29, 2023)
- Family Studies and Gerontology Department, Mount St. Vincent University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Keynote Presentation (April 8, 2022)
- Casey Family Programs, Seattle, WA, USA, Keynote Presentation (November 17, 2021)
- Residence Program, Faculty of Social Work, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Keynote/ Q&A, A Better Man Documentary (May 12, 2021)
- Family Studies, Mount Saint Vincent University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Keynote, Restorative Justice (April 9, 2021)
- Sexual Misconduct Unit, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, Keynote, Safety and Repair Approach (December 8, 2020)
- Diverse Voices Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Keynote, Responsibility, Trauma and Masculinity: A restorative approach with men who abuse (November 17, 2019)
- Five Eyes (International Military Intelligence Alliance) Ottawa, Ontario, Keynote, Restorative Justice and Gender Based Violence (May 21, 2018)
“I can’t thank you enough for your presentation. I myself have experienced abuse both parental and relationship – and I cried, in a good way. Thank you for your work, and speaking to such an important issue, as I feel you spoke to many things I think, but don’t know how to say: power, trauma, etc. You are on to something great, and thank you for your great work.”
Contact Tod Augusta Scott
"*" indicates required fields